General eligibility and admissions criteria for RSI’s programs are that an applicant must:
- Be a Prince George’s County resident who is 18 years or older (16 years for the Transitional Age Youth Program).
- Have a primary diagnosis of serious mental illness with the exclusion of primary substance abuse; symptoms and documented clinical history that are consistent with the psychiatric diagnosis; impaired functioning resulting from mental illness in at least 3 of the following areas:
- Exhibit inappropriate behavior (which cannot be based solely on criminal behavior); or
- Be unable to establish or maintain personal support system; or
- Require help in basic living skills; or
- Lacks family and community support.
- Requires supportive residential services and/or psychiatric rehabilitative services in the county.
- Have a written physician’s referral; and
- Be assessed by RSI as appropriate for the services.
The CSA or other community-based rehabilitative or psychiatric service provider may make referrals to RSI’s SILP. Family members or self-referrals will be accepted. This program best suits applicants who have been stable for at least one year (i.e. no psychiatric hospitalizations) and need assistance to become more independent.
The Prince George’s County Mental Health Core Service Agency (CSA) may refer clients into RSI’s RRP. Applicants who need intensive support services in a structured residential setting will be given high placement priority. The CSA can be reached at:
Core Service Agency: www.princegeorgescountymd.gov